Friday, November 5, 2010

Ni Hao.





Guess how much I paid for the brunch I had last Friday. 
10.75 dollars for two. Less than 6 bucks per person. WHAT A DEAL! 


One thing I learned from traveling around various places is this: When in doubt, go to Chinatown if you're hungry.  It's like a treasure island where you can find some unexpected surprises. Last summer, I was on a mission to find a decent Dim Sum place. I went to few places in SF Chinatown with my Chinese friends but no place was worth 4+ stars. I was looking for a place where you go in and you only see REAL Chinese people enjoying their small meals. I Googled and Yelped for about an hour and found Joy Luck Restaurant in Oakland Chinatown, 15-min driving from Berkeley. 


My first visit to Joy Luck was a satisfying and stomach-filling experience. They had ladies with carts!!! Also, when I saw people making hundreds of dumplings by hands in the back of the kitchen, my stomach filled up even more. NOM NOM NOM. The best time to go there is around 11. Just like a typical brunch cafe. 
Some extra tips: they do not speak English well so you would have to study a bit before you make your first visit. These are some of the popular/common dim sum dishes! Shrimp Dumpling (蝦餃 har gau) Lotus leaf rice (糯米雞 lou mai gaiEgg tart (蛋撻 dan tat) Char siu baau (叉燒包, char siu baauRice noodle rolls or cheong fun Potsticker (鍋貼, woh tip) Shaomai (燒賣 siu mai)

No comments:

Post a Comment